Thursday 21 June 2012

Some awesome websites and blogs about cities

As I mentioned in one of my posts earlier this month (Some cool quotes about cities, click here), I've been enjoying some awesome reading about cities. As my wife stubbornly clings to her unreceptive ways, I thought I'd share some of my favourite websites and blogs with readers of my blog instead.

The Atlantic Cities (click here)

I visit this gem of a website daily for oodles and oodles of interesting articles about different facets of cities. Richard Florida, world renowned urbanism guru, is the co-founder and editor at large for the website.

Amongst the site's myriad of great contributors, I particularly enjoy The Urban Wonk (aka Kaid Benfield) whose latest article on building better bus stops is a beauty and Nate Berg who provides interesting snippets on all things cities related.

Always kept up-to-date with regular articles, The Atlantic Cities is one of my favourite sources of ideas for my blog and highly recommended for some enjoyable reading on cities. 

The Pop-Up City (click here)

I recently discovered this truly kick ass blog. The Pop-Up City explores the latest ideas shaping our cities. There is a strong focus on the emerging concepts, strategies and methods that can be used to achieve more people-friendly cities.

This blog is another great source of potential ideas for Freo. All that is left to do is to issue a formal power salute to recognise this blog's awesomeness.

Playscapes (click here)

Regular Freo Doctor readers will appreciate my passion for bringing back the fun into our cities, especially for the kiddies. Then it'll come as no surprise that Playscapes, a blog about playground design, is one of my favourites.

Here is a quote from Playscapes, which says it all.
"Because it's difficult to find non-commercial playground information. And I find that frustrating.

Because a playground doesn't have to cost a million bucks and come in a box. In fact, it's better if it doesn't.

Because playgrounds are under-recognized as an artistic medium.
Because everybody loves a playground."

Playscapes is kept regularly updated with absolutely drop your cup of tea in the morning kick ass playgrounds from around the world. 

Paris Breakfasts (click here)

Paris Breakfasts is one of my favourite blogs for a number of reasons. It is kept regularly updated. It is about Paris, my favourite city. It often includes posts about spectacularly tasty looking French food. I love the photos of everyday life in Paris.

It is one of my favourite blogs about cities because its creator (Carol Gillott) captures the essence of living in a city that is vibrant and full of life and activity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment