Monday 29 August 2011

What's working, what needs improving, what's not working in Fremantle

Fremantle is a great city. I am running for Council because I think that it can be greater. I think that we can make Fremantle move ahead again. In this post, I outline what I believe is working, what needs improving and what isn't working in Fremantle.

So what works?
- Walking around the city on a sunny spring Sunday afternoon and feeling the place buzzing with families and friends gathering to have fun. For the time being Fremantle is still a destination.
- Fremantle's history, heritage and character set the context for the future. We have a city that can be the place to see past, present and future mix.

What needs improving?
- The city centre feels old and tired.
- Getting more activity into the city centre.
- Priority for pedestrians and cyclists.

What isn't working?
- Antisocial behaviour.
- Needless red tape.
- Too many vacant buildings.

In all these areas, I believe that we cannot afford to rest on our laurels. We must build on our strengths, make improvements where necessary and fix what is not working before it is too late. If we can succeed then Fremantle can become a leading city again.

I'm not satisfied with continuing to lay anchor and staying still while other local governments move ahead. I'm not happy seeing this great city fail. That is why I believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - my medicine will get Fremantle moving ahead again.

No comments:

Post a Comment