Saturday 18 February 2012

Recommended reading: More sexiness in the city

Nothing gets me hotter than listening to policy wonks talk about urban density. Say the words "intermodal transit" and I start to sweat a little. Add "walkable urbanism" and "placemaking" and I have to excuse myself for a minute. I kid -- kind of. Truth is, I get frustrated. I wish we could just say what we really mean. What are we really talking about when we talk about making Detroit a more vibrant city?

The opening lines of Claire Nelson's article on the conditions of creating vibrancy. Her introduction definitely grabbed my attention and I'm glad I kept reading as her article proved to be an interesting read. I think it provides a useful insight into what can be done to begin revitalising Freo.

Pour yourself a refreshing drink and check her article out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment